Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Athlete Highlight - Bobby Over

Continuing with our "Athlete Highlight Series", hailing from Wadsworth, Ohio, our Captain and All-American Junior Distance Runner, Bobby Over has some things to say about his career and experience here at Allegheny College.

Cross Country All-American, Bobby Over
I transferred to Allegheny after spending my freshman year at Heidelberg University in Ohio. Coming in, I was intimidated by the amount of talent that the team possessed. My first semester here was the spring of 2011 and I was given the opportunity of having one semester with the most talented class of distance runners this program has seen. While almost all of them were vastly faster than me and had the achievements to prove it, they welcomed me with open arms once I got on campus. It was this willingness to accept me, which showed the best quality about the track and cross country program at Allegheny. This program is not made up of just athletes coming together for practices every day. To be a member of the team is to be a member of the family. Teammates here will spend almost every waking minute together because of the bond that the team has developed. Whether it be a movie night at the cross house, studying in the library, or eating meals together at Brooks, your teammates will know everything that goes on in your life because they truly care. When I got on campus, it was a fresh start for me and I felt like a freshman again, but this fresh start was eased by the seniors who took me under their wings and showed me the way. If you believe in the training and trust in your teammates, the results will come.

Over is currently ranked 6th in the Nation in the 3K Steeple Chase
The best moment that I have had while attending Allegheny was when the cross country team qualified to nationals this fall. We were a young team, with four runners from varsity never experiencing a national meet, but like the seniors before us, we showed them the way and achieved what we had set out to do. Allegheny is a team built on traditions and after concluding my first year in a gator uniform, I can proudly say that I look forward to continuing the traditions that got this program to where it is today.

Bobby will be competing this weekend in the 3000m Steeple Chase at the NCAA DIII National Championships in Claremont, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment